Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dukkah


With the abundance of food bought for the Christmas season, you probably have leftover nuts, or maybe you won't. I love them and its not something I buy a lot of mainly because of cost. If I do have them in the pantry, I only use half the quantity a recipe might ask for which allows me to use them for something else. (That's if I can hide them long enough from my husband.)


Dukkah (pronounced "doo-kah") is a traditional Egyptian ground nut and spice mix used for dipping bread into but it has many other tasty uses. Pistachios make a delightful dukkah mix because of the taste and the colour.


[Grilled Vegetables with Lemon Cumin Yoghurt & Dukkah]
It may also be scattered on top of vegetable or meat dishes. It may be used as a topping for salads.


Some people use the dukkah as a coating which may be added before cooking chicken, meat or fish.
In addition, some lovers have been known to add it to olive oil creating more of a paste mixture.

Others have been known to add it into rice dishes or to blend it into a dip. It could also be used as a topping for yoghurt or fruit.
You can be imaginative and resourceful and create your own original uses for dukkah.
Pistachio Dukkah
(adapted from http://www.taste.com/ recipe)
40g (1/4 cup) pistachio kernels
40g (1/4 cup) sesame seeds
1 tbs coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the pistachios on a baking tray. Bake for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Place in a clean tea towel and rub to remove the skins. Set aside to cool slightly.
  2. Meanwhile, stir the sesame seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a frying pan over medium heat for 3 minutes or until aromatic. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool slightly.
  3. Place the pistachios and sesame seeds mixture in the bowl of a food processor (or mortar and pestle) and process until coarsely chopped. Taste and season with salt and pepper. 

Made with macadamia nuts

Other nuts to try are hazelnuts, pine nuts, almonds, cashews or macadamias and spices such as fennel seeds, dried chilli, carraway seeds, turmeric, thyme can also be added.

9 comments:

  1. How yum! I'll have to try this. My youngest loves both nuts and cumin! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of dukkah but we do love nuts in our house which is a good thing because that means they will keep me around...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how wonderful! This is very useful to me...I was adding the left over nuts to salads...but that wasn't enough..I will try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really looks good. The name is so interesting. I have never heard of it before. I love your photos. You do such a great job with your photography!! Pistashios are one of our favorites so I know we would like this. And its so simple yet healthful.I'm so glad you shared this Anne.I am going to make it.

    Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love dukkah. I will definitely give this a try.

    I was thinking about you over Christmas - I hope it was all OK as I know it was a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh drool. This looks divine. Do you know I dont think I have actually ever tried it, but I am so going to give your recipe a go Anne. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love putting out bread, oil and dukkah for dunking when friends come over for dinner. There's always a jar of it the cupboard.
    But it's not always savoury. A few years ago I saw a recipe for sweet dukkah - for sprinkling over breakfast treats like greek yoghurt with stewed rhubarb. It's seriously addictive!
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This look delicious!!! I'm having a linky party, and would love it if you joined! Here is the link! http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party-3 Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Anne, I so need to make this! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.