Friday, January 27, 2012

{Real} Cherry Ripe Cake


Last weekend I took the kids to the park for a play and we took a cake. A real cherry cake. Not made from cherries in a jar or a tin but real ones. I often have a jar of Morello cherries in the fridge for all sorts of things but I probably would never think about using fresh ones. (I've normally got them eaten before they ever get a chance to go in a cake.)


When I have a need to bake, I spend absolute ages looking for recipes. I've got heaps of cookbooks and so many recipes to look at on the internet, I'm spoilt for choice. I nealy always go back to my good old favourite, the No Fuss Fudge Cake. I reckon if I added meat or fish, I could make it into a savoury version. It's just so versatile.


This cake could've quite easily been a bit like a Black Forest cake but with the addition of coconut it soon became very much like one of Australia's favourite candy bars, the Cherry Ripe. Cherries and coconut smothered in rich dark chocolate. I was going to smother the cake with dark chocolate ganache but it was a hot, muggy day and there would've been chocolate from here to Timbuktoo over the kids so the icing was good enough this time.

{Real} Cherry Ripe Cake

1 and half cups plain flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup pitted cherries
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon white vinegar
6 tablespoons oil (I use canola)
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
half teaspoon salt
  1. Turn oven to 180 C (375 F). Grease a 20cm tin well. Dust inside the tin with a little flour. Tap out excess.
  2. Put the flour, sugar, cocoa and water in a bowl. Add cherries and coconut.
  3. Add vanilla, vinegar, oil, baking soda and salt. Mix with beaters until smooth. (Mixture is runny.)
  4. Pour into the tin. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then take out of tin. Ice with your chocolate icing.

6 comments:

  1. Chocolate and cherry...delicious! I've never heard of a Cherry Ripe bars. I'm trying to think of something we have here that would be similar. I can't wait till I can buy some fresh cherries next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meat in your fudge cake-YUCK!
    (I know you were just kidding)

    But this cake, I am almost licking my screen!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Cherry Ripes...love the sound of a cherry ripe cake! Definitely worth doing again with a shiny ganache icing! You're a clever lady Anne
    Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noooooo! I have to hide this from my hubby lol. Cherry Ripe is his absolute fave. Thanks for providing me with everything i need to make his perfect Valentines Day gift.
    Do you mind if I pin this??? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my stars Anne, I need a fork so I can eat this right off the page. It looks SO good. YUM! I don't know what Morello cherries are. We have marichino cherries in a jar. I don't know if they are the same or not. But who cares...your cake is just begging me to have a piece.I want some right now!

    I need to make another post as I have only done one this week but I have been knee deep in other projects. It is still Thursday here and if its not to late I'll put my Chinese New Year post up on your Thursday Link party.

    Can hardly wait to try this cake.

    Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne,
    It is always so good to see you! I don't think I have ever had a Cherry Ripe Candy Bar, that looks interesting, because I love Cherries. That cake looks awesome, and it sure sounds like you are enjoying your summer. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...