Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Caramelised onion & brie tart


In the time it would've taken me to make a sandwich for lunch today, I had this caramelised onion and brie tart on a plate in less than 20 minutes (including oven time). I had a heap of onions to use up and what better way to use them up then slow braising in the pan and caramelising with brown sugar and balsamic vinegar.


I only had brie because I stocked up on meat from my butcher on Sunday and he was selling these wedges for $2.50! I should've got a couple (lucky I didn't - not the best for my non existent waist line). I think any cheese would work well with the onions.


Caramelised onion & brie tart
  • one sheet frozen puff pastry
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • salt
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
  • sliced brie (or cheese of your choice)
  1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C (365 deg F) and line baking pan with parchment paper.
  2. Heat olive oil in pan on low to medium heat and add onions, browning slowly, ie don't allow to burn. Season with salt.
  3. Once onions have softened, add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and fry onion for a further 5 to 10 minutes, until sauce has caramelised.
  4. Slice puff pastry into 4 pieces and place on baking tray.
  5. Spoon onions into centre of pastry, allowing an 'edge' around the pastry.
  6. Top with cheese and bake in the oven for approx 10 mins.
  7. Serve on top of a dressed green salad.

These are great for lunch or dinner or make smaller ones using a mini muffin pan to make pastry cups and fill with the onion mixture and cheese for entertaining.


11 comments:

  1. My boys LOVE cheese, brie being one of their favorites. They have only had it on crackers. Now, I have something else to try and I know they will LOVE it. Happy Wednesday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've to me hungry for lunch! I wonder what I can whip up...LOL! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks SO good Anne. I can taste it right through the computer. Its everything I love. I like the ideas too of making them smaller for appetizers. They sound and look so delicious. My mind is spinning here for future occassions to make this. Now this one is a real keeper!!!!

    Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tart looks absolutely delicious! I love brie with just about anything, but with caramelized onions - YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks soooo good! I love brie and you just can't beat caramelized onions. What a lovely combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I love caramelized onions especially with brie! Yum! Please come link up to Foodie Friday
    new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is making me so hungry and I already ate lunch! I love your photography of your tart and I can't wait to try it because it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Anne,
    I believe that we are having your summer weather right now, it is awesome, but I know that winter will return soon. Your Caramelised Onion and Brie Tart looks so elegant and delicious. I must make this recipe very soon! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.