I wanted to make a batch of 'something' to give out to fellow Brisbane Bloggers that I was meeting at a get-together yesterday and thought of a good old batch of old fashioned coconut ice. This recipe from Best Recipes was just perfect. No cooking involved at all. Great to get the kids involved with as well. Although in this instance it was a little bit of the case of the little red hen and not much helping going on but a lot of tasting going on once it was made.
(from Best Recipes)
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 395gm can of condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3.1/2 cups coconut
- 2-3 drops pink food colouring
- Place icing sugar, cream of tartar, condensed milk and vanilla essence into a bowl and combine well.
- Add coconut and mix well.
- Split mixture into two and place one lot into a slice tin (35cmx25cm or 13.5"x10") lined with baking paper and press down.
- In the other half, add pink food colouring and mix in well.
- Press on top of white layer.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours and slice into small squares.