Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Eggplant parmigiana & mozarella stack


Whenever I'm out and about with my Mum, you can be assured of a nice cup of coffee and something delicious or a stop at nice deli. I'd taken Mum to an orchid show on Saturday morning and we stopped at a nearby coffee shop. There was a beautiful deli across the road and we just had to have a browse. If I could do all my food shopping here, I'd be a happy girl. (A bigger girl, but a happy one.) Funds are always tight but a few small pieces of selected deli items was going to keep me satisfied.

I bought a bunch of basil, an eggplant, a small ball of buffalo mozarella, a piece of Jindi triple brie, a few slices of bresaola and a small tub of different olives. Now to make the most of it. The brie didn't see the day out. It was just too lovely and the bresaola was Sunday lunch with the olives. I decided on an Eggplant Parmigiana & Mozarella stack to get the best out of these ingredients.


Eggplant Parmigiana & Mozarella Stack

Eggplant:
6 slices eggplant (aubergine)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup plain flour, seasoned with salt & pepper, for dredging
1 cup soft (or dry) breadcrumbs
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for frying

To assemble:
6 slices mozarella (any cheese could be used)
basil pesto
grated parmesan (optional)

  1. Prepare egg, flour and breadcrumbs for crumb coating by putting each in a shallow container. Coat eggplant slice in flour, then egg and then bread crumbs.
  2. Shallow fry in EVOO until golden and drain on absorbent paper.
  3. In a small baking dish, starting with a slice of eggplant, layer alternatively with mozarella cheese, finishing with mozarella.
  4. Bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes until golden.
  5. Top with basil pesto and/or grated parmesan.


This amount makes 2 stacks. Nice on it's own as a light lunch or served with vegetables or a salad for a main meal. It doesn't hurt to pick up a few quality ingredients from time to time, using them wisely and getting the most out of them. I've still got enough of everything for another meal. Stay tuned.

12 comments:

  1. Yum...it really is too bad I can't pop over for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally trying this!! I think it was you who I e-mailed a while back asking for a good eggplant recipe :) perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne on my last comment I apparently talked about two posts. I guess I must have scrolled down to far as I thought I was looking at todays. I LOVE eggplant and mozzarella cheese. I think these would be absolutely delicious. The photos sure look good. I'm going to make these. Tasty Tasty Tasty!Thanks for the recipe.

    Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Ann, did you do this for me espcially for Valentine's? Mwah XX
    Keith (RHD)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I LOVE eggplant parmesan!!! My mother-in-law tried to cook it when my husband was young but failed miserably and so I don't ever make it. I love your recipe though so I will have to give it a go!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly this is a recipe in time for Valentine's Day. I would love to make this yummy dish for my husband this Valentine's Day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo...brie doesnt last long in my house either :0

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy! eggplant is one of my absolute faves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got an eggplant in my fridge and wasn't sure what I was gonna do with it. Now I know. Thanks for sharing :D
    PS: I'm a new follower and I'd love it if you followed me back.
    www.theycallmehypo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delish - eggplant parm is my favorite thing to eat, but making it is a real chore. I love the simplicity of this version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anne,
    You have mastered the Eggplant Parmigiana, it is just beautiful and I am sure very delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love eggplant and this sounds amazing! Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.