When I get a craving for something, I just about do anything to get that dish made and eaten. When I felt like Butter Chicken the other night, I remembered a recipe I'd seen years ago that was easy but it used tomato paste, which I didn't have. I know how to substitute most things but just didn't feel adding something like tomato sauce in place of paste would've done the butter chicken any justice.
Instead, I just had a look at what I had in the fridge and pantry. Time was running out. I didn't want to grind spices or run to a late night store for tomato paste and whipped this quick and easy version up based on the Easy Butter Chicken recipe I had from years ago. It may not be authentic and it may not be exactly the same as the recipe I had but it hit the spot.
Quick & Easy Butter Chicken
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (or 3 tsp of crushed garlic)
- 1/2 tsp each of ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- chilli powder to taste
- 1 chicken breast, chopped
- 4-6 Roma egg tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- handful of baby spinach leaves
- Melt butter and saute onion and garlic for 2 mins.
- Add spices and stir until aromatic.
- Add chicken and saute for about 5 mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cream and yoghurt and simmer gently for 15 mins or until tomatoes have broken down.
- Remove from heat and throw in washed baby spinach leaves. They will wilt from heat of dish.
- Serve with steamed rice.
- Suitable to freeze.