Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Roasted Carrot & Garlic Gnocchi with Thyme Butter


Having access to these Gourmet Garden products this week is giving me a lot more scope with my evening meals. Besides mixing a bit of chilli and garlic with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar for a quick salad dressing or squirting some garlic into butter for a quick garlic butter for garlic bread, I've been thinking 'outside the square'. Besides having the challenge of coming up with something different to cook, I've also set myself the challenge of only using what I've got on hand. I did buy some fresh salad ingredients this week, which I needed, but I haven't brought anything else. Having a couple tubes of Gourmet Garden herbs in the fridge is definitely a good way to extend your menu planning ideas.


Today's dinner was no exception. I have had a couple of kilos of carrots in the fridge for a couple of weeks now and have been lacking inspiration to cook them. Before I decided to enter the Gourmet Garden Blog Off / Cook Off competition, they were earmarked for soup. My son and I peeled them, roughly chopped them, seasoned with salt and pepper and roasted with the Gourmet Garden chunky garlic and some extra virgin olive oil.



I then whizzed the softened roasted carrots in a blender until they were as smooth as possible, added a bit of nutmeg, an egg yolk and plain flour, a tablespoon at a time, until a nice soft dough was formed.


I'd never made nor tasted carrot gnocchi before but it was a 'weak at the knees' moment, especially after the gnocchi was tossed in garlic butter in the frypan just before serving. A definite keeper.


Roasted Carrot & Garlic Gnocchi with Thyme Butter

(Note: I haven't mentioned quantities because it all depends on how many carrots you have. Use your judgement as to whether you need another egg yolk to bind and taste for seasoning.)

  • carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 tbs Gourmet Garden chunky garlic (or 2 garlic cloves, left whole)
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • plain flour
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 tbs Gourmet Garden thyme (or 1/2 tbs dried thyme)
  • grated parmesan to serve
  1. Toss chopped carrots in garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 170 deg C oven for approximately 20 minutes or until soft.
  2. Blend carrots until pureed. Add nutmeg and egg yolk.
  3. Add 1 tablespoon of plain flour at a time until a soft manageable dough is formed. Roll into a log shape on a floured surface, approx 2cm in diameter. Cut into 1.5cm lengths.
  4. Drop 3 to 4 gnocchi into a 'rolling boil' pot of salted water. When they float to the top, remove from the hot water and plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process and put aside.
  5. Melt butter in a pan. Add thyme.
  6. When melted, add gnocchi and pan fry until thoroughly coated with thyme butter.
  7. Top with freshly grated parmesan.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness yum!!! I have never been brave enough to try Gnocchi, but you make it look so amazing and so good! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Anne this looks SO good. I haven't had breakfast yet and I could eat the whole plate. And it looks so healthful too....a big plus. I'm showing this one to my husband. I have GOT to make this.

    Love ya friend!!!

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made gnocchi but your version looks healthy with carrots - I bet my kids would scarf this down. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sounds delicious! I've never tried gnocchi either but I do love roasted carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really been wanting to attempt to make Gnocci. Thanks for this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic!! I am so going to try making this. Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious. I am totally in love with the carrots I have been getting at the local farmers market for the last couple of months and have been making cakes, soup and this week fritters. I hadn't thought of making gnocchi. I am going to give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow this sounds completely delicious...definitely going to cook this up for the family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like carrot gnocchi, but have not tried roasting it. Thanks for inspring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find gourmet garden to be so handy! So pleased I have a fridge full of it haha. LOVE gnocchi, so will have to try this one. Thanks so much for linking up xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What!? You're a genius! Love gnocchi! Please link up to Foodie Friday! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.