Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bringing Back Dessert - Chocolate Lava Cake



As much as I love the thought of 'bringing back dessert' to the evening meal, my timing is all wrong. You see, I'm on a bit of a health kick. It's been 7 years since I had any sort of waistline or life of my own and instead of bringing back 'dessert', I'm bringing back the Anne I used to know. One who loved life to the fullest and was reasonably fit and reasonably healthy.



It was a cool night the other night and my son (as well as myself) wanted a warm dessert and I thought of the Chocolate Lava Cake (or Chocolate Fondant it also known as) recipe I had. I'm not sure who gave it to me but it's really easy and really rich (and really high in calories I later found out - about 500 per small serve).


This pudding was about 2 minutes cooked over it's usual time and not as runny and gooey as they normally are when you cut into them. After all the trouble I went to, my son didn't like it. Too rich for him. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending which way you look at it), I now have 2 more in the freezer to eat. They won't be gooey in the centre upon reheating but they'll be rich and decadent and worth every mouthful. I'm saving these for the days I work out with my Personal Trainer. She normally works off about 1,000 calories off me!

Chocolate Lava Cake

  • 200gm dark chocolate, melted
  • 100gm butter, melted
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons plain flour
  1. Mix melted chocolate and butter together.
  2. Allow to cook slightly and add eggs, beating one at a time into chocolate/butter mixture.
  3. Add flour and thoroughly combine.
  4. Cook in well greased moulds (or I use coffee cups). I normally cook mine in a 160 deg C oven (fan forced) for 12 minutes. As soon as they're cooked on top, they're done.

Easy and impressive but high in calories and rich. I'm working on low calorie, decadent desserts or ways to work off my calories in an enjoyable way. Not sure either is really possible, but I'm trying!

9 comments:

  1. Delicious! Now why did you have to go and tell me how bad they are for me? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay that looks way way way toooooo amazing Anne!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There should always be room for dessert in any healthy nutrition plan....once a week or so, anyway. And what better than decadent chocolate?

    I made a similar pudding once that had caramel-filled mini easter eggs in the centre of rich chocolate cakes. Heavenly melty choc-caramel goodness. I seem to have misplaced the recipe - probably a good thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look very yummy and indulgent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds both decadent and delicious. It's not too hard to reduce the fat in desserts - well, some of them anyway. I've been doing the same for almost a year now, and once I started, the easier it got. All the best with "bringing back Anne". :) You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. drooling...it looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.