I'm trying to eat lean protein during the day but I want something that's quick to throw together but with a little bit of sustenance. I thought I'd make some meatballs with standard spices, like dried coriander, dried cumin, garlic and onion powder and a bit of chilli and then pop them into bags of 3 for the freezer. I just defrost and add them to a wrap or a sub (long breadroll) with whatever salads I have and add flavoured yoghurts and sauces, depending on which country I'd like to think I'm in for the day!
I make my own non fat Greek yoghurt which I have for breakfast, use in baking and cooking and it also makes a great sauce or 'spread' for these types of sandwiches. Just adding your favourite herbs, citrus zest or juice, salsa, chilli sauce, whatever is in your pantry or fridge, will always add another flavour dimension to your favourite lunch snack.
- ground beef/veal/lamb/pork (or combination)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp each of dried coriander, dried cumin, garlic and onion powders
- chilli powder (optional)
- salt & pepper
- splash of extra virgin olive oil (or spray on a non stick pan)
- Mix ingredients well, shape into small balls and fry in a non stick pan with either a splash of extra virgin olive oil or spray. Alternatively, you can dry bake in the oven.
- capsicum (bell pepper)
- feta cheese
- red onion
- Kalamata olives
- tzatziki (yoghurt, garlic and cucumber dip)
- tabouli (parsley, diced tomato, burghul, mint etc)
- coriander & yoghurt sauce