Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Copycat KFC Sweet Chilli Twister


I'll admit I've got a weakness for the Colonel's 11 secret herbs and spices and no matter what combination of herbs and spices I've tried, nothing comes close. Not even the deep frying, oven baking or whatever I try to do, its never the same as that 'finger lickin goodness'. (I always feel sick after it from the high fat content but I endure it.)


I especially love the sweet chilli Twister. A tortilla filled with slimy lettuce, the tinest bit of tomato, over fried dried crispy chicken strips and a splash of sweet chilli sauce, all put together by a fumbling 16 year old who's never made a sandwich in their life. That's why I try to make these things at home. Nothing upsets me more than paying for takeaway food that you wouldn't serve up to your worst enemy.


I wasn't even going to try to replicate the 11 secret herbs and spices. A good shake of salt and pepper in some flour, the chicken dipped in beaten egg and then dredged in the flour and shallow fried was enough to satisfy my KFC craving.  By doing it at home you can use as much or as little salad as you like and put it together with a little more finesse.


I think these would be good with fish as well. My son absolutely adored these. He says "Mum, you're a good cooker."

Copycat KFC Sweet Chilli Twister

  • chicken breast fillets, cut into strips and flattened
  • flour tortillas
  • plain flour
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • oil for shallow frying
  • lettuce, tomato, cucumber, capsicum
  • grated cheese
  • sweet chilli sauce
  1. Combine flour, salt and pepper.
  2. Dip chicken into beaten eggs and then coat with seasoned flour. Repeat.
  3. Heat oil in a pan and when hot, add coated chicken.
  4. Drain on absorbent paper.
  5. Load salad ingredients into centre of tortilla, then top with chicken and sweet chilli sauce.
  6. Fold tortilla from the botton, then wrap over the left and right of the filling. Secure with a toothpick until ready to eat.

6 comments:

  1. I can't say I'm a fan of the Colonel myself but occasionaly when I take Olive out for a treat lunch to the Golden Arches, I will allow myself a grilled chicken wrap with sweet chilli sauce. Inevitably it will be swimming in the sauce and mayonnaise and the ratio of lettuce is a fifth of what the picture on the menu board boasts.
    'Take-home' nights guarantees a better tasting and healthier option...and yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, there is definitely something magical about those 11 herbs and spices! I too feel ill and like I need to take a shower after I eat there. However, the occasional guilty pleasure of eating some KFC is worth it. I love your re-do of this wrap. You are definitely one talented chef! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if yours is like KFC but it sure looks fantastic! How sweet that your son gave you a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recreated (or tied to, at least) the 11 herbs and spices but it never turns out right. This looks like a much healthier, tastier option compared to the oily fatty food from kfc, i don't like it either.

    holly, from sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delish! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Oz. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-10.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.