What I feel like eating and what's in my pantry are usually two completely different things. If I really feel like eating a particular thing, near enough has to be good enough. I really felt like a crunchy coconut biscuit type thing with a touch of real chocolate. I didn't really have enough chocolate for cookies and not a lot of time for cookies, so while the oven was on the other night, I looked in the pantry, saw the coconut, a handful of dried apricots and two rows of chocolate for melting so an Apricot & Coconut Slice was born.
I used my basic Chocolate Slice recipe from my high school cook book "Day to Day Cookery" and omitted the cocoa. This is so easy peasy and a real delight for the kids too.
Apricot & Coconut Slice
- 1 1/4 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped finely
- 1 egg
- small amount of chocolate, melted (for drizzle - optional)
- Combine all ingredients, except chocolate, and place mixture in a greased or baking paper lined slice pan (20x15cm).
- Bake in a 170 deg C oven for approx 20 mins or until golden brown. Cool.
- Place chocolate in a ziplock bag, seal and melt in a microwave. (I do short bursts of 30 seconds until it has melted.)
- Snip the corner of the bag and drizzle over the cooled slice.
- Cut in squares and serve.