Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pineapple & Mint Cakes with Lime Drizzle


You know me and those silly cravings I get. I had a craving to make a Hummingbird Cake a few weeks ago but that didn't happen so I've had a can of crushed pineapple staring at me in the pantry every time I opened the door. No point making big cakes in our house anymore otherwise I just eat the lot. I bought myself a mini loaf pan and this pineapple recipe was perfect.


Ideally, one of these 'mini' loaves might do two people but I ate the whole thing. It wasn't that big, really. This recipe can be made in a normal sized loaf pan, a ring pan, round pan or cupcakes. You could also add lime zest to the icing for a bit of extra lime taste.


Pineapple & Mint Cakes with Lime Drizzle

  • 1 1/2 half cups plain flour
  • 1 x 450g can crushed pineaple in natural juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbs dried mint leaves (or 2 tbs Gourmet Garden mint)
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 6 tablespoons oil (I use canola)
  • 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
  • half teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • enough lime juice to mix with icing sugar to form a honey-like consistency for Lime Drizzle
  1. Turn oven to 180 C (375 F). Grease or line baking tin well.
  2. Mix the flour, sugar, canned pineapple (including juice) and water in a bowl.
  3. Add mint, vinegar, oil, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
  4. Pour into the tin. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
  5. Cool for 10 minutes then take out of tin.
  6. Drizzle with lime icing.

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh my, this looks elegantly delish...it's the addition of mint that makes me think this is a classy dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! What a great idea to buy loaf pans for making your cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one good cook. Love your idea of making them smaller.
    I cut up my first pineapple of the season yesterday. It felt good.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds so delicious! I need to bake that! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday! Your Co-Host Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look yummy! And it's nice to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your recipe because it is completely foreign to me. I would have never thought of putting pineapple and mint together. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday... and great to hear from you. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds nice! It's not something I'd have thought to make, but I have a hankering to try it (and when did I start saying 'hankering'?

    Can I ask though - the mini loaf pans? This sounds like a really good idea for us. I want to start baking for the boys again but I don't eat cake and Joel is really trying hard to lose 5kgs or so and he's trying not to eat anything unhealthy for a while. (I'm not saying this cake is unhealthy. I mean sugary/fattening etc).

    Where did you get the mini loaf pan? How mini is it? Is it like a muffin tin (different shape of course) that you have to cook a dozen or so in? Or do you buy them individually? And are these the most stupid questions you've ever heard?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your recipe! Thanks for sharing it at Cast Party Wednesday!
    ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne,
    These sound scrumptious. I love pineapple and lime and I bet they are fabulous together. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so yummy...and I cant have chocolate in the house cause I end up eating all of it :)
    What a great idea, making it in a small loaf tin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.