Sunday, November 11, 2012

Frugal and easy 8 year old birthday high tea


My little girl turned 8 years of age on Friday just gone and she had decided that she only wanted two of her closest friends to celebrate her birthday with her. Its only taken me 8 years to realise this but I wanted to keep birthday celebrations as simple as possible. Less work (and stress) for me but full on celebration for my daughter. And what does that mean? A few lollies, cake and making their own fun with music playing in the background (Taylor Swift got a good workout) and some finger nail painting.


In the lead up to her birthday, I also had a cooking competion to attend on Friday so wanted my week to be as stress free as possible so all I had to do for this party was open a couple packets, set the table and ice the cake. The cake I had made a couple weeks before when I made 60 cupcakes for the school birthday celebrations (my son's birthday is on the 25th of this month). It was iced with a simple buttercream and decorated with Smarties for the number 8 and fruit flavoured stick candy, chopped in thirds and stuck on the side of the cake. You could tie a ribbon around it if you wanted to but I just left it like that.

 
In a way I'm glad my daughter is so fussy. Food was simple. I served up a few extra birthday cupcakes I'd iced for school, cheese sandwiches, Vegemite rolled sandwiches, Twisties, crackers and a couple bowls of mixed lollies. I also served pink lemonade (lemonade with red cordial added) in a teapot.

The table was set with the same tablecloth I'd had on all week (I just flipped it over), some paper doillies for placements, a centre doillie, two tiered plate stand to hold sandwiches, cakes and cookies and a few of my vintage dishes to hold lollies and crackers. I picked up a 4 piece small white ceramic teaset from my local op shop for a couple dollars the other week and just used the cup and saucer with some other small vintage plates I picked up from the local car boot sale. I don't even think they cost anything. The church was glad to be rid of them. I can remember saying to my daughter to help me set the table while I ironed the linen napkins and then I snapped out of it. What was I saying? These were 8 year old girls. Do they even know what to do with a napkin? I looked in my paper napkin stash from previous parties and found these pretty pink ones which I just folded into the cup.


Flowers were recycled from the bunches I'd bought from the markets the weekend before and the matching creamer and sugar pot to the teapot were filled. My daughter decided to go through my flower brooch stash and threw them on the table. Paper doillie bunting was tied on the timber blinds (8 for the birthday girl) and that was it.

I picked up these cute manicure sets for a couple dollars for the girls as a thank you gift and just put them in a plain brown paper bag with a couple little note books and printed out a little note to tie on the front of the bag.

I lovely little party for my lovely little girl (who also had a bit of a meltdown after the event from being so excited but everything was resolved) and a relatively easy party to throw together.

Cost:

Tableware and linen - all from personal stash except for 4 piece teaset which cost less than $5
Cake - 70 cent packet mix decorated with candy which cost about $5
Cheese and Vegemite sandwiches - used pantry supplies
Other food - Twisties, crackers, cupcakes, cookies, drinks and candy cost around $10
Flowers - recycled from 3 bunches I purchased the week before for less than $10
Loot bag - $5 manicure sets and $2 notebooks with a pen wrapped in brown paper bag


And I've got to do it all over again in a couple weeks time. This time with a few extra little munchkins running around but it's all worth it. Its all about them. Hopefully they might organise something for me for my 60th birthday in return. Here's wishful thinking.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a real memory maker of a day.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful Anne, hat a lucky girl she is to have you as her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne I am amazed at your ability to create something so beautiful and special without spending a ton of money! They look like they enjoyed the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet idea. Looks like the girls had a wonderful time. A birthday doesn't need to be huge to make it special. I'm sure your daughter will remember this special moment for a long time to come xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Anne, that party looks so fab! Happy 8th Birthday to your Daughter xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful party! Happy Birthday to your 'big' girl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the cutest birthday party. I have a link party and would love to have you share this and any other posts. It is called Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. The link to the party is
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
    I hope to see you there.
    Have a great week.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful Anne,
    You've given me a few ideas to use myself.
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! We were just saying maybe no birthday parties this year, but you've reminded me that simple is actually so much better! Love the cake, it's so vintage cute. Found you via Scandi Coast Home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has to be every little girls idea of the perfect party...it's all so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.